NHS and the Expansion of Nottingham
Driving the expansion of Nottingham….
In common with many seventeenth century town schools, Nottingham High School educated the sons of local burgesses and wealthy tradesmen, to fulfil roles in Church, Education and Commerce in a slowly expanding society.
In the period of rapid growth of industry in Nottingham during the nineteenth century, the school Admissions Registers detail the occupations that drove the City to double in size, and then double again. By 1884, sons of lace manufacturers rubbed shoulders with those of doctors, solicitors, china merchants, farmers and builders. Between 1812 and 1899 some 660 pupils came from families connected with the textile industry when, at times, the size of the school hardly exceeded 80 boys.
Families that created the prosperity of industrial Nottingham such as Boots, Players, Turney, Shipstones, Lymbery, Lymn and Trease, are named in High School Registers. Scholarship money donated by generous benefactors, and later by the Local Authorities, meant that those in clerical and manual trades and in the coal industry, like the father of D H Lawrence, might send their boys to the school and thereafter have the possibility of a university education. Today, oil companies, banks and multinational companies are led by the skills and talents of Nottingham men with a High School education.